Watch the below BtN:
Answer the following questions in your Reading Book:
1. At election time, people vote for the ______________ who are running in their________________
2. What is an electorate?
3. How many federal electorates are there in Australia?
4. How many square kilometres does the electorate of Grayndler cover?
5. Which is the largest electorate in Australia? How many square kilometres does it cover?
6. How are electorates worked out?
7. Who are electorates named after?
8. What is a safe seat?
9. Why do politicians spend a lot of time campaigning in marginal seats?
10. What do you understand more clearly since watching the BtN story?
Go to the Australian Electoral Commission website to find your electorate.
Find more information on the electorate that your home or school is situated.
- On a map locate your home or school and draw the boundary of your electorate.
- What is the name of your electorate?
- How did your electorate get its name?
- Create a profile on your local Member of Parliament, using this template. member of parliament
- Who is the current member for this electorate?
- What political party do they represent?
- Can you find out who else is ‘running’ for this electorate?
- Is it a safe or marginal seat?