(Documentary is on the 5 shared server)
- Mars Maps
Create a map of Mars and find the location and any other interesting information about features on Mars, which include:
- Olympus Mons
- Valles Marineris
- North and South Poles
- Impact Craters (created by meteorites) in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres
- Mars Explorations Rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, and/or the Mars Polar Lander, Phoenix
- Mars’ moons
Earth vs Mars
Create a Venn diagram using Inspiration comparing the planet Earth to Mars. Things to consider:
SizePlanetary order from SunAtmosphereTemperature (range & average)Length of DayLength of YearSeasonsWeather
- Communicating with Mars
Astronauts on Mars must be able to communicate with Mission Control back on Earth. Research how a radio signal travels from Earth to Mars and back again, and create an illustrated diagram using pages or an app of choice. Insert this into your Keynote.
M.A.R.S. Mars Australian Research StationWhat would a Mars Base (suitable for humans) need? Research where resources necessary for humans living and working on Mars would come from, including:
- Air – to keep the air breathable oxygen would need to be added, and carbon dioxide filtered out.
- Water – everything would have to be recycled. Are there any resources on Mars?
- Food – food from Earth would have to be stored for a long time, or perhaps astronauts could grow their own
- Fuel (energy sources) – fuel would have to be brought from Earth Earth unless astronauts could use energy sources on Mars.
- Design your own Space Station on Mars
Create your own plans for a international space station on Mars. Using an app of choice or you may wish to hand draw this and then take a photo.
Draw a picture or diagram that takes into consideration:
- Astronauts/ scientists need somewhere to sleep, eat, live and work
- Spacesuits to travel outside the base, and/or vehicle and robots to undertake dangerous work
- Communications with Mission Control back on Earth